• Log In

  • Don’t Leave Home Without It

    Important documents and phone numbers


    Reporters on assignment are advised to carry their passports at all times; failure to do so could lead to unnecessary delays if you are stopped by police or other security personnel.

    Reporters resident in China should also carry their Foreign Ministry-issued press card. The FCCC advises visiting correspondents to carry media credentials with a Chinese translation.

    Foreigners are also supposed to carry their residence registration certificate, provided by the local police, at all times. Hotels should be able to provide this to visiting journalists.

    If you are covering a sensitive issue you may want to carry copies of your documentation so that police cannot “detain” you by taking away your documents.

    It is also a good idea to carry a copy of the Chinese regulations on foreign journalists, to show to local officials who may try to stop you.

    Useful phone numbers

    Carry a 24/7 mobile number for your embassy’s press attaché.

    Foreign Ministry media hotline numbers:

    • Spokesperson: 010-6596-3342, Duty officer mobile: 1391 086 9861

    International Press Center:

    • Ms Chen Mingjian: 6596-3323, 1397 136 9948
    • Ms Ren Yuhong: 6596-4338, 1368 108 7660
    • Ms Zhou Li: 6596-3313, 1369 121 8055

    Emergency numbers:

    • Police: 110
    • Ambulance: 120